Louise Webb -
ARTIST STATEMENT - Webb’s practice currently explores communication, miscommunication, misinterpretation and mistakes through the participation of narrative. Through the use of moving image, Webb has been investigating the intimacy of electronic devices and digital hospitality observing how new social histories and fictional realities are being created through shared technologies. Webb is interested in how these inevitable formats of communication can be used to share collective joy, resistance and hope while being faced with the difficulties of privacy, false news and hidden algorithms. This correlates with her involvement in facilitating workshops inspired by accessible and collective learning.
Influenced by work ethics, AI, digital communication, peripherals, language and myth through a multidisciplinary practice.
-Open School East Associate -January 2018 - December 2018 - Alternative Postgraduate Course Open School East, Margate, Kent
-BA (Hons) Fine Art - First Class Hons - September 2014 - July 2017. Norwich University of the Arts
-Foundation Diploma - University of Creative Arts, Canterbury 2013-14
Supporting work - Working in a group with filmmaker Arnold Schwartzman to create Margate Rock Sculptures. These were exhibited outside the Turner Contemporary in May 2014
Relevant Public Speaking Competitions- Articulation- 2013 at Quarterhouse, Folkestone
Working with Arts Organisations -
● Incidental Unit (Formerly the Artist Placement Group) - Supported the creation of a research led workshop that was held at Radmin at Bristol in February 2019
● Dover Arts Development - Working and co-organizing multiple workshops that investigate different methods of public engagement. I have been offered multiple residencies with them over recent years.
● Folkestone Fringe - Working and assisting with them in multiple large scale art events, future plans to work with them in their new urban development project.
Recent Events and Upcoming Events -
Co-Host of WHAT NEXT? SALON #2: Fair Exchange and the ethics of invitation with Dover Arts Development - online salon - 23/06/2020
Dover Studio Open Online Exhibition -30/05/20-31/05/20
Digital Disconnections and Intimate Artificial Realities- Normal Festival of the Brain - May 2020 (Postponed)
Stone Beginnings - St Edmunds Chapel Dover June 2020 (Postponed)-
Axis Web Highlights -https://www.axisweb.org/highlights/2019/new-art-highlights-15-21-july/
Antiuniversity 2019: No More Miserable Monday Mornings - 18/06/19 - Co-organised workshop with Katie Fiore - Well Projects, Margate
The Parliament of Schools - Co-presenting a talk with Anna Colin on Alternative Education, being part of discussions with multiple participants from Alternative institutions - Bauhaus, Dessau 20-24/03/19
Hosting a co-organised workshop with fellow Incidental Unit Members, Bristol, February 2019 -
Threads Residency - Dover Art Local, 12 July 2018
Limbo Residency - Limbo studio, Margate 21st -30th July 2018
Organised Artist Walk in Collaboration with Chris Poundwhite for Chalk up 21 in connection with Dover Arts Development - 5th August 2018
Park Bench Project- Kearsney Abbey, 2018 , in connection with Dover Arts Development
Art in the Park Residency- Arts Council Funded in connection with Dover Arts Development - Kearsney Abbey- July 2018 - Cinema Screening of Responsive Work in March 2019
Gut Feelings (OSE Final Show) - Pettman’s Building Margate December 2018
Art Licks - OSE Feedback - Turf Projects, Croydon, October 2018
Contemporary Exorcism- Whitstable Biennial-
Walking Distance- Collaborative exhibition and long distance walk- Guest Projects London, May 2018 Strong Currents co-creation with OSE associates and Marguerite Humeau- Botany Bay, Kent. April 2018
Reflections on the Landscape: Against the tide - River Garage Studios, Dover, Kent. March 2018. Co-Curator
We: You, Me, (Narrative Whispers) - Firstsite, Colchester, Essex. October to December 2017
Free Range - The Old Truman Brewery, Brick Lane, London - July 2017
Marmalade- Cyprus School of Art - May 2017
Norwich University of The Arts Degree Show- June - July 2017
● Open School East Associate 2018 - Working alongside 13 other associates to organise and create multiple public events.
● Incidental Unit member and part of Outreach Team - Attending meetings with the aim of reconnecting the rigorous approach of APG with wider concerns around the brief given to socially engaged art today
● CHA|rade - Collaboration between artists from Norwich and Camberwell, involving digital communication devices. One of six.
● Co|OP- A group of collaborators that have taken part previously in multiple separate collaborations. From this I have taken part in multiple large group shows. One of 14.
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE
Folkestone Triennial Host - September 2017- November 2017 Quatre House - Creative Foundation Folkestone
Gallery Assistant at East – September 2016 - July 2017 East Gallery -http://www.nua.ac.uk/thegallery/ Norwich
Photography A level Volunteer Mentor at City College – January 2016 - July 2016 City College Norwich
British Art Show Live Guide and Supervisor - June 2016 - September 2016 British Art Show - Norwich
Art Library Assistant – September 2016 - May 2017 Norwich University of the arts -http://www.nua.ac.uk/study/library/ Norwich